Earlier this year I upgraded from a small, one bedroom apartment to a large, two bedroom townhouse/apartment place and I love it! It feels like a house, which makes me feel like I should do house-like things: cleaning, cooking, recycling, etc. I do a decent job with cleaning and recycling, but cooking is a different story...
I really enjoy cooking and baking, but as it turns out--I'm not very good at it (as evidence by previous blog posts highlighting several smoke alarm incidences...). Last week, a coworker gave me a starter kit for homemade bread. I was so excited with thoughts of homemade bread and I couldn't wait to impress my family and friends with it's deliciousness! I made the bread on Tuesday. I bought all the right ingredients, measured everything out exactly, and even poured the mixture into 2 brand new loaf pans I bought at the grocery store. My apartment filled with the tasty scent of homemade cinnamon bread!
I set the timer and took out the bread after 45 minutes, as instructed by the recipe. It still looked a little soupy, so I popped it back in the oven for a few minutes. When I took it out again, same result--still soupy in the middle, but the top was looking dry and burnt. After a few more minutes, I pulled out the bread again, only for the top to be char-grilled and black! Devastation! I let it cool for a while and then attempted to cut into it. The first slice came out great--delicious and warm! When I cut into the loaf for the second slice, the uncooked middle came oozing out the end! I started chopping up the loaf to inspect the damage and found multiple pieces of eggshell!! OOPS!!
Naturally, I did what any quarter-lifer would do--threw the destroyed loaf away and put the other loaf of denial in the fridge (out of sight--out of mind!) Then I called my mom to relay yet another story of cooking failure...
No comments:
Post a Comment